13th June 2012: London, United Kingdom – HARMAN International Industries announces the availability of a new line of Harman Kardon®headphones that deliver a performance destined to impress music lovers and long-time fans of the innovative and legendary audio brand. The Harman Kardon headphones range includes four options: two sound-isolating in-ear models tailored specifically for iPhone use, one on-ear model and one over-ear wireless Bluetooth® model – for music lovers seeking a refined industrial design true to Harman Kardon’s rich acoustical heritage. Harman Kardon will follow the launch by adding a noise-cancelling on-ear model in August 2012.
Harman Kardon, which introduced the world’s first stereo receiver in 1958, is synonymous with beautiful sound and attractive design. Pulling from a heritage of acoustic innovation, the Harman Kardon headphones incorporate optimized drivers that produce accurate bass even at low volumes, whereas many competing models today artificially exaggerate bass or treble. The distinctive rectangular shape of the in-ear, on-ear and over-ear headphones mirrors the back case of an iPhone, highlighting a design meant to pair with an iPhone, iPad or iPod.
“These headphones are enhanced by several audio technologies developed by HARMAN yet also reflect the brand’s commitment to innovative industrial design,” said Dinesh Paliwal, chairman, president and CEO of HARMAN. “People who truly appreciate beautiful sound – whether it is on the go or in the living room – should not compromise when it comes to performance. These refined and distinctive headphones are built with the precision that has always defined Harman Kardon’s high-fidelity products.”
The headphones share several distinguishing features:
• The two on-ear/over-ear models are framed by a lightweight sand-blasted steel outer band that comes in two sizes so users can create the correct fit, while a leather inner band rests on the wearer’s head for comfort. Steel hinges accentuate the rugged feel of the headphone frame, which does not include plastic. Leather ear pads float in an enclosed steel frame, with only soft leather touching the listener’s ears. The detachable ear pads are connected by industrial-strength magnets to remove for cleaning or replacement. The headphones include 40mm drivers and have detachable cables. The headphones fold flat to slip easily into a briefcase or bag, a storage feature that will appeal to travellers. Each model includes a premium carrying case.
• Both in-ear styles were designed for passive noise cancellation so users clearly hear music and other audio content at lower volume levels – healthier for the ears. Multiple earphone sleeve options allow users to find the right fit while blocking exterior noise from disturbing the clarity of the audio content. Each model includes a three-button Apple-specified remote to make and receive phone calls while controlling volume and playback features.
Details of the four headphone models include:
• The in-ear model NI (£89.95) features 9mm drivers to provide a wide-dynamic range and high sound-pressure levels. This ultra-light model has a rectangular black housing – shaped like the back of an iPhone – and a three-button remote with a built-in microphone for calls. Three sizes of silicone sleeves offer a comfortable fit and noise isolation.
• The in-ear model AE (£129.95) acoustically enhanced headphones isolate noise and are enclosed by a silver-toned aluminium casing for superior acoustic dampening to provide true low-frequency reproduction. The headphones include premium 9mm drivers optimized to work with the metal housing to deliver an extended bass response. A three-button remote with a built-in microphone is included, while a Comply™ foam sleeve is offered along with three sizes of silicone sleeves.
• The on-ear model CL (£169.95) are defined by precision with metal hinges, a sand-blasted metal finish and rectangular ear cups that reflect the iPhone’s iconic design. The 40mm drivers are uniquely baffled to create an air flow that extends the low frequencies – bass – better than other models in their class. The detachable cables feature highly finished metal connectors, while the cables are made of a tightly woven fabric to enhance feel as well as durability and flexibility.
• The over-ear model BT (£219.95) Bluetooth headphones include an integrated microphone so users don’t have to remove them for a call. Built-in playback buttons sit along the side of one ear cup for easy music controls. These high-performance wireless headphones are charged via the included USB cable, but also work in passive mode. That means if the battery – which lasts 12 hours – is dead, users can attach the fabric-covered headphone cable for wired playback from an iPhone, iPod or iPad. Competitive Bluetoothheadphones do not offer passive playback.